Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baking Your Own Wedding Cake  (Read 30704 times)
MaggieWilson

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 21, 2009, 06:20:46 pm »

Many brides prefer to bake their own wedding cakes instead of getting a store bought one. Baking your own cake can be a cost effective alternative to buying one, but bear in mind, it takes a lot of effort and time to bake a wedding cake. But if you are adamant about doing it on your own, here are some tips that you will find extremely helpful:

1) Get help!

First and foremost, enlist some help. Like we said before, baking your own cake is not going to be easy, so get your mum, sisters, and all your girlfriend pals to help you out.

2) Baking the wedding cake:

Always use fresh ingredients. The eggs, sugar, flour, and all other ingredients should be absolutely fresh.
Do a trial run of your cake recipe before you begin baking the actual wedding cake. If your recipe does not turn out ok, or if you don't like the taste, you will have only wasted your time with the trial cake and not with the entire wedding cake.
Remember to use unsalted butter for the cake. If your recipe calls for margarine, you can substitute it with unsalted butter for a richer flavor and taste.
Make the batter for all the tiers of the cake at one go and put them in the different sized cake tins. If you have a small oven which will not hold all the tins at once, you can bake them separately.
To check if the cake has baked thoroughly, put a pointed skewer or knife into the centre of the cake. If it comes out clean, your cake is done.
3) Icing and decorating the cake:

Never ice a hot cake (unless otherwise specified). A cooled cake is easier to work with and will ice better than a hot one.
If using whipped cream for icing, keep it in the refrigerator at all times and remove it only when you are ready to use it. The iced cake should then be put into the refrigerator immediately else the cream will turn sour.
Take out only one cake tier at a time for decoration. Place the tiers back in the fridge after decorating each of them.
4) Assembling the cake:

Put each layer onto cardboard pieces hat will support the weight of the cake. Assemble the layers in the right order and make sure that they balance perfectly on each other.
The assembled cake will need to be refrigerated again. So, if you do not have a big enough fridge, wait to assemble the cake till you do, or till the wedding day.
If you are using a fruit cake recipe, the wedding cake can be baked up to a month in advance. Icing can be done one week prior to the wedding and the cake should be kept refrigerated till the wedding day.

"A kiss on the hand may be quite continental, but diamonds are a girl's best friend."
Engagement Rings|Wedding Rings|Rings Circle of New York
mystyle

Lets Be`Connected!!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 01:05:52 am »

Thanks for the recipe as I am going to get married soon I will bake my wedding cake myself.

KateDesiraeReid

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 01:18:27 am »

thanx for the recipe.I will bake my  sister wedding cake myself.
Onei

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 12:01:39 pm »

One good tip that I have recently discovered is that if you are not using marzipan then a thick crumb coat or 'dirty ice' layer is essential to achieve a smooth even base to lay fondant on top.

cookpiper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 09:36:00 pm »

making your wedding cake is so awesome.
It will make you proud of yourself

For a bride on a budget, paying $8 per slice for a wedding cake may seem outrageous! But what are the alternatives, particularly when you don't have any baking experts in your family? The answer is - making a wedding cake is really not that hard.

ruthmoore

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 07:46:28 pm »

I'm already married Smiley but I guess I can reach out to my single friends and volunteer to bake their wedding cake but before that I'll practice first so it won't be embarrassing for the couple if my cake didn't turn out well :p

Ruth Moore
Loves salmon recipes
daphne

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 01:30:08 am »

Thanks for the info. That would be a big help.

marrabel

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 07:10:47 am »

Thank you very much. Think it is the great help to all the brides. The most important point here is that the cake being successfully baked and adored by the future husband.  Grin

Catering Melbourne - all types of food
MadisonBrown

MadisonBrown MadisonBrown
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 03:15:11 am »

This is a wonderful opinion..It's really provide good  help to all the brides.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: