Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sticky: About Commercial Egg Replacers  (Read 30832 times)
Madhuram
Administrator

Eggless...yet tasty!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 12, 2009, 03:53:19 pm »

EnerG and Bob's Red Mill are the common commercial egg replacers available in US.  They are egg free, made with plant/vegetable based starch and leaveners.  This is also available in health food stores (Whole Foods) and in the organic aisle of some of the regular supermarkets.  

I have used only EnerG so far and have had good results.  EnerG does not work well in all recipes and especially with some of the boxed mixes.  Trial and error method is the way to go.

The EnerG box comes with the instructions to use the product, which is blending 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of the powder and 2 tablespoons of warm water until it is frothy.  Some cookbook authors suggest using twice or thrice the amount of powder.  I have also noticed that the mixture reduces in volume after a while, so you would have to add about 1-2 tablespoons of extra water depending upon the consistency of the dough.

Check here for recipes using EnerG and Bob's Red Mill egg replacer as an egg substitute.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 07:28:44 pm by Madhuram » Logged
ogreletmama

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 08:09:10 am »

I tried to use the Ener-G product this weekend in a scratch brownie recipe and NOTHING happened- nothing rose, and it tastes the same, but pretty much tuned out like oldfashioned fruit leather, but chocolate.  The box I have does not state to use warm water, but I did stir it until it was frothy- do you think that using warm water would have made a difference, and is this the same result I am to expect all the time?  The recipe was Baker chocolate's One bowl brownies, btw...

Thanks,
Ogreletmama
Madhuram
Administrator

Eggless...yet tasty!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 09:54:41 am »

I have found in my experience that using lukewarm water and blending the powder with the water produces better results than simply whisking it with a fork.  Also I have got feedback from some visitors that Ener-G doesn't work well in brownie recipes.  I don't know if it is true because I have not tried it in a brownie recipe.  Also I have found that it does not work well in all recipes, it's more like a trial and error sort of thing.  I would suggest you to first try it in a cookie recipe and then proceed from there.  Hope this helps.
maebyn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 08:25:49 am »

I usually mix the Ener-G with VERY warm water in a small bowl, whisk it with a fork or small whisk, and let it sit for a few minutes while I get other ingredients together. 

For brownies - Ener-G does NOT work - unless you want to make brownies that are hard and chewy like toffee!    I think it's something about the acidity/oil ...

Ener-G is great in cakes, cupcakes, and pancakes.   I use flax seed (1 TBSP + 3 TBSP hot water in a small bowl, let sit), too, and it typically works much better than Ener-G.   If a recipe calls for 3 or more eggs, I will use 1 Ener-G and 2 flax seed, etc..

Madhuram
Administrator

Eggless...yet tasty!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 10:14:46 am »

Maebyn, thanks for the input regarding substitutes for 3 or more eggs. 
Noeggs

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 04:02:17 pm »

Same as above^ thanks Grin
cookpiper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 04:58:53 am »

Ener-G is great in cakes, cupcakes, and pancakes.   I use flax seed (1 TBSP + 3 TBSP hot water in a small bowl, let sit), too, and it typically works much better than Ener-G.   If a recipe calls for 3 or more eggs, I will use 1 Ener-G and 2 flax seed, etc..

Oh thanks much maebyn, I heard about Ener-G before but not too sure how to use it but glad you've shared yours... i better apply this next time.

daphne

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 11:18:32 pm »

SO is that good for the health? coz if is then i might also use that.  Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: