Inspired by Priya's Rava Idli and Cham's Cracked Wheat Idli, I came up with this idea of using grits to make instant idlis. Yet another time grits has proved to be versatile. The idlis came out very well and especially it tasted so good with sambar for side dish.
Hominy Grits Instant Idlis Recipe
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Yields|
|15 Mins||20 Mins||16 Idlis|
- 1 And 1/2 Cups Grits
- 1 And 1/2 Cups Yogurt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 Medium Size Grated Carrots
- Handful Frozen Peas
- 1 Teaspoon Grated Ginger
- As Per Taste Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Urad Daal
- 1 Teaspoon Channa Daal
- 10 Cashews Broken Into Small Pieces
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- A Pinch Hing
- Dry grind the grits in a blender to the consistency of regular rava/sooji.
- Combine together all the ingredients listed for the batter. Add water if necessary to get the consistency of idli batter.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add the items to be tempered one by one and pour this in the batter and mix it well.
- Grease the idli moulds (on both sides) using a non stick oil spray and fill with batter. I also grease the back because the batter from the lower plate does not stick to the top plate and you will be able to get full idlis.
- Steam the idlis for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- I prepared the idlis 1 hour after preparing the batter. But I guess that it's not necessary, because rava idlis can be prepared as soon as the batter is ready.