I love zucchini because it blends very well in any baking recipe. It's like the chameleon of vegetables. Not only does it up the nutritional value without boasting its presence but also makes the baked goods moist. It especially pairs very well with chocolate, which I know from baking these zucchini recipes. So this chocolate chip zucchini muffin recipe is no exception and it was super delicious. I found the original recipe here and made some changes to make it egg free. It is a wholesome lunch box treat or an after school snack. I have no doubt that this muffin will make it to your kid's favorite recipes list.
Mini Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Yields|
|20 Mins||17 Mins||30 mini muffins|
- 2 and 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk (See My Notes)
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- whole wheat pastry flour - mix of all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour
- milk - any non-dairy milky
- honey - maple syrup or agave syrup
- yogurt - unsweetened applesauce
- butter - oil
- zucchini - carrot, apple, pear
- chocolate chips - dried fruit or nuts
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C for 15 minutes. Line mini muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a large bowl mix together the dry ingredients.
- In another small bowl stir together the wet ingredients and mix it with the flour.
- Stir in the zuchini and chocolate chips; mix until just combined.
- Spoon in about a tablespoon of batter for each muffin. I was able to get 30 mini muffins. Bake it for about 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for about 5 minutes and then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- tablespoons of orange juice was suggested in the original recipe. I used milk because I was out of oranges. But I'm sure that some orange juice and orange zest would have made these muffins even more flavorful.
- Other interesting combinations you could try with this recipe are carrot-raisins, apple-walnut, pear-craisins.
| Calories: 82|
Total Fat: 3.2 g
Saturated fat: 1.2 g
Unsaturated fat: 2.0 g
Cholesterol: 4.9 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 15.5 g
| Sugars: 10.0 g|
Dietary Fiber: 1.4 g
Protein: 1.8 g
Sodium: 97.8 mg
Potassium: 38.8 mg