Recently my eldest son finished his UCMAS course (Mental Math) with flying colors. It was quite an experience for him and me as well for the past 3 years. The final few levels were very difficult, especially given his age. But he did keep up his word and finished all the 10 levels before he starts Grade 3 this September. So this definitely needed a huge celebration with a special dessert. Ice cream cake is his absolute favorite. I found this Oreo Celebration cake recipe and knew right away that I had to make this one definitely, because he loves Oreo too.
This ice cream cake recipe was very easy to put together. It barely took 30 minutes to assemble but tasted heavenly like I had slogged all day long. One can come up with umpteen number of variations to this recipe and make it new each and every time.
No-Bake Oreo Ice Cream Cake Recipe
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Yields|
|25 Mins||4 Hr||15 Servings|
- 24 oreo cookies
- 2 cups caramel ice cream (egg free)
- 2 cups cherry chocolate chunk ice cream (egg free)
- 2 cups Cool Whip, thawed
- 2 tbsp hot fudge ice cream topping
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted (optional)
- Line a spring-form pan with parchment paper.
- Stand 14-15 cookies around the edge of the pan and crush the remaining cookies. Place the cookies in a zip-lock bag and use a rolling pin to crush the cookies.
- Keep aside 1/2 cup of the crumbs and sprinkle the rest in the prepared pan.
- Spread one of the flavors of ice cream on top of the cookie crumbs. Top with 1 cup Cool Whip and reserved cookie crumbs.
- Add some of the toasted and chopped nuts if desired.
- Cover it with the other flavor of ice cream. Top with the remaining Cool Whip. Sprinkle the remaining nuts and drizzle with fudge topping.
- Tightly cover the pan with plastic wrap and freeze it for at least 3-4 hours. Remove dessert from freezer 10 minutes before serving.
- I used reduced fat Oreo cookies and Lite Cool Whip. It's mentioned in the original recipe that you can use frozen yogurt too instead of ice cream.
- To get the ice cream to a spreadable consistency, put it in the microwave oven for 10-15 seconds. Do this in smaller
- increments of time or else the ice cream will melt too much.