In my early days of baking I was not a fan of orange flavor in baked treats. For some reason it didn't appeal me at all. I don't know when and how the transformation happened and I fell in love with anything orange flavor, be it cakes, cookies, muffins, anything and everything!
It is a very simple recipe for orange sugar cookie made from scratch using orange zest. I did want to incorporate some fresh orange juice too in the cookie but the recipe didn't have room for it. Nevertheless the cookies did have a very good citrus flavor and scent just from the orange zest alone.
I'm thinking that you can make these orange cookies more fancy with some fresh orange juice and icing sugar glaze. Hopefully can get to it one of these days. But let me assure you that these orange sugar cookies tasted great even without any of those frills! The kitchen was filled with a pleasant orange scent which really lifted my mood.
Check out here for more baking recipes with orange. I don't know about you but I can't get enough of it!
Simple Orange Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C for 15 minutes.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl. Add in the orange peel and vanilla extract; beat well.
- In another bowl sift together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Mix in the flour mix into the creamed butter mixture and stir it until well combined.
- Scoop out tablespoonful of dough for each cookie, slightly flatten it and place it on the baking sheet 2 inches apart. Bake 10-12 minutes or until the edges are browned lightly.
- Remove it from the oven and let the cooks remain in the pan for another 2-3 minutes and then transfer the orange cookies from the pan to a wire rack to cool completely before storing it in a air tight container.