As long as there is Parents magazine, I will not have any problem finding easy baking recipes. This is one such simple and tasty recipe. I tried it for the first time yesterday with one zuchini. It was crispy on the outside and tender inside. Zucchini being a soft vegetable, when it cooks, the inside is not as firm as the potato fries. It tastes similar to the South Indian appetizer Bhaji, which has a crunchy exterior and soft/mushy inside.
Baked Zucchini Fries Recipe
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Yields|
|15 Mins||25 Mins||2 Servings|
- 1/2 - 1 cup Bread crumbs or cornflakes crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 Zucchini, cut into 3 x 1/2-inch sticks
- 1/2 cup Yogurt (I used low-fat)
- Black Pepper or Red Chili Powder To taste
- Heat oven to 425°F. Spray a baking sheet with oil. Mix bread crumbs, salt and black pepper/chili powder, if using.
- Coat zucchini sticks with yogurt. Press into crumb mixture a few at a time. Arrange on baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes, until golden brown and tender. I felt that the zucchini fries were not crunchy enough, so I kept baking until 24 minutes, checking every 2-3 minutes.
- I used bread crumbs instead of cornflakes.
- I also added some pepper powder and chilly powder for the adults version.
- Beat the yogurt with a fork nicely and pour it in a plate so that dipping the zucchini sticks will be easy.
- Dip 2 to 3 sticks at a time and put them in the bread crumbs mixture and shake the plate, so that the crumbs get evenly coated throughout the zucchini.
- Place them in a greased baking sheet. I baked it for around 23-25 minutes to get the desired crunch, even though the recipe mentions only 15 minutes.
- One zucchini is enough for 2 adults.
- Update: One of my friend mentioned that the zucchinis burnt in the oven around 20 minutes. As I have mentioned in the notes section the baking time in the original recipe is only 15 minutes. But mine was not cruncy enough, so I kept increasing the time 2-3 minutes and was checking constantly and around 24 minutes mine was nice and crunchy. I guess I coated the zucchinis with too much yogurt and/or bread crumbs. So I would advice to bake for 15 minutes first and then bake for some more time if necessary.