My sister-in-law shared this recipe with me and I owe a very big thanks to her. Thank you so much N, the little one loved it very much. My husband called it French fries and my son was gobbling them 🙂
It's Stuffed idli roast! Simply transform your plain and boring idlis into a crunchy snack by stuffing it with potatoes and roasting them. Not even deep frying in oil! My grandmother used to roast plain idlies, but this stuffed recipe was new to me. At first I tried only with 4 idlis and it was over in no time. So I prepared it the next day too. You can either prepare fresh potato curry or use leftovers too. The second day I simply cubed and boiled potatoes (with salt and turmeric) in the microwave oven and stuffed it in the batter. That was good too.
Stuffed Roast Idlis Recipe
- As Needed Idli Batter
- As Needed Potato Curry OR Cubed Boiled Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- As Per Taste Idli Powder (Idli Milagai Podi)-Optional
- As Per Taste Salt
- Pour idly batter for half measure in the idly plates.
- Put a tablespoon of the potato curry on it.
- Add some more batter so that the curry is covered.
- Steam the idlis. Remove the idlies from the plate and cut each idli into 4 pieces.
- Once the idlis are ready, heat a little oil in a frying pan.
- Place the idlis in the frying pan and close it with a lid leaving half an inch space.
- Stir on slow heat or fire for 3 to 5 minutes till both the sides of the idlis are roasted. I also sprinkled some idli milagai podi and tossed it well to coat evenly.