Colorful and Healthy Beet Pasta
My son is in “pasta phase” now. For the past couple of days he has been eating pasta for lunch and dinner. Actually I have to prepare the same pasta dish everyday. So I was thrilled and relieved to see Bharti’s Pink Pasta. She uses roasted and finely chopped beets to make this attractive pasta dish. It’s an amazing beet recipe. It inspired me to create another version of the pink pasta.
My son doesn’t like to bite into pieces of veggies, with an exception to few vegetables. So instead of simply adding chopped beets and garlic to make the pink sauce, I pureed everything together including the ricotta cheese in my Magic Bullet blender. That’s the reason I chose to use garlic powder instead of whole garlic as well. Bharti has used heavy cream and I didn’t have it at home, so I went with the part skim ricotta cheese which was sitting in my fridge after using little for these breakfast cookies. The pink sauce tasted very good.
I was having my doubts whether he would eat it or not, because so far he has been eating pasta in white color. So I got him all excited as soon as got home from school. I told that I gave it to his friend R also and she liked it so much. To my surprise he ate it without any fuss and also told me he liked it very much. I really have to thank Bharti for inspiring me to create this beet recipe.
|Healthy Beet Pasta Recipe|
- 1/2 Cup Any Uncooked Pasta Of Your Choice
- 1 Small Beet
- 2-3 Tablespoons Part Skim Ricotta Cheese
- As Per Taste Lemon Pepper Seasoning
- As Needed Garlic Powder
- As Needed Salt
- 1/2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Cook the beets. I use a pressure cooker to cook beets. I peel the beets, cut each beet into 4 pieces, add water just enough
- to cover it and leave it for 1 whistle. Don’t pour the beets cooked water in the sink, instead prepare this beet soup in a jiffy.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta also as per the package directions.
- In a blender/food processor puree together the cooked beets, ricotta cheese, lemon pepper seasoning, garlic powder and salt.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the beet puree. Let it simmer for 2-3 minutes and the pink sauce is ready.
- Toss the cooked pasta with the sauce and it’s ready to serve.
- For the lemon pepper seasoning I used McCormick’s Salt Free Lemon Pepper seasoning. Alternatively you can use lemon juice and black pepper powder.
- My son eats only cauliflower, broccoli and sometimes carrots, baby corn in it’s original form. That’s why I blended everything together, you may choose to chop/grate the beets, add minced garlic etc.
- Chances are you may have extra pink sauce for the above measurement of pasta and beet. So first transfer the pink sauce to another container and add sauce little by little to the pasta and refrigerate/freeze the remaining sauce for another serving.
- I got this pasta from Trader’s Joe and forgot to note down the name of the shape. It’s easy and fun for kids to eat this pasta with a fork. My son had a nice time seeing how many rings he could get each time in the fork.
- I can’t wait to substitute carrots in this beet recipe and surprise my son with orange pasta.
Share with your friends: