Eggless Vanilla Cake

Jump to Recipe

(from 325 reviews)
Eggless Vanilla Cake

Eggless Vanilla Cake: When I posted this eggless vanilla cupcake recipe a few weeks back, I was being asked if it could be baked without the egg replacer powder.

I suggested increasing the quantity of baking powder to substitute EnerG. Some did it and got good results and some didn’t.

I too made some changes to that recipe to bake it without EnerG but did not get satisfactory results.

The cupcakes did not turn out as good as the ones with Ener-G. So I was looking for another eggless vanilla cake recipe which can be baked with simple ingredients and landed on this one.

I have come across this recipe before and somehow didn’t get a chance to try it until recently. Since the visitors’ request for a simple eggless cake was becoming more frequent I decided to give it a try and I would say that I was not disappointed at all.

It was not as fluffy and airy as the cupcakes but was definitely a decent recipe.

After going through the reviews of the original recipe I have made a couple of changes to make it better.

The only other thing I would like to try the next time is to use cake flour instead of all-purpose flour. I think that particular variation will give a lighter texture to the cake. So do try it when you get a chance.


Eggless Vanilla Cake Recipe

Prep TimeCook TimeMakes
15 Mins27 Mins24 Cake Slices
Eggless Vanilla Cake
4.8 from 325 reviews
This Eggless Vanilla Cake is simple to bake and uses readily available ingredients. The taste and texture makes it perfect for any occasion.
  • 2 and 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
  • 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon Salt
  • 2 tablespoons Sugar
  • 1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk (I used a 300ml can)
  • 1 cup Water
  • 2 tablespoons Vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons Vanilla Extract
  • 1/2 cup Melted Butter
  1. Preheat the oven at 350F/180C for 15 minutes. Lightly grease a 9×13 inch pan and line it with parchment paper.
  2. In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix in the sugar.
  3. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and stir in the the wet ingredients one by one. Stir the mixture together using a whisk. Some lumps is okay.
  4. Pour the batter in the prepared pan and tap the pan to even it out and break the air bubbles if any.
  5. Bake it for 25-35 minutes. The first time I baked this eggless cake I checked it for doneness after 30 minutes and felt that I could have taken it out 2-3 minutes earlier.
  6. The bottom had started to brown more than it is required to. So I did that the next time and took the pan out the oven after 27 minutes itself and the cake turned out to be perfect.
  7. Transfer the pan to a cooling rack and remove the cake after 15-20 minutes. Place the cake on the rack for it to cool down completely before slicing it.
  1. The texture of this eggless vanilla cake is neither too fluffy nor too dense making it a perfect base for shaped cakes and decorating. It slices off beautifully without crumbling. The sweetness of the cake is just right if you are going to frost it. Actually, we preferred this sweetness even without the frosting. But if you are looking for something very sweet then you have to definitely increase the quantity of sugar anywhere between 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup.
  2. This cake was a huge hit in our family and with our friends. If you can’t find Ener-G egg replacer and try the best eggless vanilla cupcake recipe then this plain eggless cake with condensed milk is the way to go.
My Notes:
  1. As mentioned earlier try cake flour for the all purpose flour used in the recipe to get a fluffier cake.
  2. Freshly squeezed orange juice and grated orange zest can be used instead of water to give a nice flavor to the cake.
  3. In Canada we get a 300ml can of condensed milk unlike in the US where you can get a 14oz can (which is approximately 400ml). The original recipe uses a 14oz can and I think that’s the reason my cake was not very sweet.

Nutrition Facts
Servings: 24
Per Serving% Daily Value*
Calories 141
Total Fat 5.4g8%
Saturated Fat 3.3g17%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 16mg5%
Sodium 124mg5%
Potassium 120mg3%
Total Carb 20.1g7%
Dietary Fiber 0.4g1%
Sugars 10g
Protein 2.7g
Vitamin A 3% – Vitamin C 1%
Calcium 7% – Iron 4%
Share it
Try this recipe, click a pic and hashtag it #egglesscooking - Proudly showcase your creations on Instagram, Facebook & Twitter!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Tried this recipe? Click on stars to rate:


  1. Sirika

    Hi, I am looking to make this recipe for a birthday, but want to back it in 9 inch round tins. Can you suggest what change I need to make to baking time or temperature to bake it in this form? Thank you.

    • Madhuram

      You don’t have to change the measurements if you bake it as two 9 inch cakes. If it’s just one layer/cake, simply halve the measurements. The time might be somewhere between 25-30 minutes.

  2. 33 Easy To Make Eggless Cake Recipes - Whimsy & Spice

    […] 2. Eggless Vanilla Cake […]

  3. Mohana Kujaylan

    1) Instead of Vinegar what else can I substitute?
    2) If I’m using Ener-G egg replacer; what is the measurement I should add?
    Please advise

    • Madhuram

      You can use lemon juice but double the quantity. This is the standard replacement for vinegar but I haven’t tried it personally. You don’t need Ener-G for this recipe.

  4. Muzinyonge Phiri

    it was nice learning this recipe. The only challenge was the mug cup measurement. Please assist with the weight in grams

  5. Neha

    Hi! I’ve made this recipe a couple of times before and it has turned out perfect every time.
    I want to make this as a zebra cake and then use it to make a letter cake. How can I make the chocolate part of the batter?

  6. Alanah Fox

    I made this recipe with my 3 year old, but we baked them as cupcakes rather then 1 large cake. Works perfectly! Cupcakes came out light and fluffy, and the recipe was easy to follow and make (SO easy, a toddler can do it haha)

    Thankyou! 😀
    Alanah and Cora, Vic Australia

    • Madhuram

      You have a hands-on toddler, Alanah 😀 Thank you for the feedback!

  7. Jay Corriveau

    Hello, I can not understand why anyone would blame their less then perfect results on your recipe and not on their own efforts. I mean, if the cake came out “too dense” for 5% of the people commenting while 95% of the remaining bakers tell you how pleased they were with their cake, chances are it is not the recipe but the 5% over stirred their batter. Some people are just so unaware or they refuse to consider their baking skills need to be improved . Anyway, Thank-you for a great, recipe. I’m grateful for your well explained instructions.

    • Madhuram

      Thank you very much for your supportive feedback, Jay. I’m glad that the recipe worked out for you.

  8. Neha Natani

    This cake turned out very tasty. I just did a small change. Added 1.5 cups whole wheat flour and 1 cup all purpose flour, so also had to add little extra water. But it made the cake a little nutty which tasted awesome!

    • Madhuram

      Thank you for the feedback, Neha. It’s wonderful to know that using whole wheat flour also works. Thanks for sharing.

  9. Val

    Thank you so much for this eggless cake recipe. I tested it out a while ago for my daughter’s 2nd birthday cake and it’s everything I want/need in a cake for her. She’s allergic to eggs, and I don’t make recipes with sugar added except special occasions, so I love that it’s much lower sugar than all the other recipes. …and it’s subtle sweetness is delicious and perfect to us. We’re pairing it with a frosting made from whole whipping cream and dehydrated blueberries. Thanks again for this amazing recipe, you rock!

    • Madhuram

      You’re most welcome, Val and thank you very much for your detailed feedback and kind words.

  10. Joseph Goodluck

    Can liquid whole milk be used in replacement of condensed milk

  11. Bella Perry

    Good day. I am from Cape Town South Africa. I am going to try this recipe this morning. Just one question – can the butter be replaced by Sunflower or Canola Oil?

    Thanking you in advance.

    • Madhuram

      Yes, you can, Bella.

  12. Robin

    Is this a cake or bread recipe? I followed it not paying attention to the 2tbs of sugar. Most recipes call for at least a cup. So if you are trying to stay away from sugar, this is a decent recipe. Not sweet at all.

    • Madhuram

      It is a cake recipe. I guess the recipes uses less sugar because of using sweetened condensed milk but with frosting it should be fine.

  13. Anna

    my son is not a fan of my bakes (lol) when i tried this last friday. he loves it and finishes it by Sun & now im making a fresh batch again!

    thank you for this receipe. is defintely a keeper!

    • Madhuram

      Thank you very much, Anna.