Sugar cookies – it’s a Christmas baking staple. I have always wanted to bake eggless sugar cookies. It has been in my “to-bake” list for years now.
Eggless Sugar Cookies Recipe
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Makes|
|30 Mins||10 Mins||20 Cookies|
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- as needed, colored sugar
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar, until light and fluffy. Beat in the vinegar and vanilla extract.
- In another bowl combine together the flour and baking soda. Incorporate this into the creamed sugar mixture and mix well.
- Scoop out a tablespoon of dough for each cookie, roll it into a ball and flatten into 1/4 inch thickness; sprinkle with colored sugar and place 2 inches apart (See My Notes)
- Bake in an oven preheated at 350F/180C, in a greased pan for 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let the cookies cool down for a 2-3 minutes before removing it from the pan. Store it in air-tight containers once it’s cooled completely.
- I felt the batter was a bit loose…not quite stiff. So decided to put it in the fridge for a while. Otherwise the cookies would spread too much. This was not mentioned in the original recipe but I did it because the dough consistency did not feel right. Initially I stored the dough in the fridge for a while (20 mins maybe) and then proceeded to roll it, flatten and sprinkled the sugar. By the time I started rolling and flattening felt that it was becoming sticky again. So put the cookie sheet in the fridge again for another 10 minutes for it to harden up a little. The cookies spread out perfectly and beautifully.
- I too was skeptical about vinegar in the recipe and was wondering how it will taste. When I tasted the dough, I did notice a hint of sourness, but couldn’t taste it at all in the cookies. So trust me, go ahead and bake these cookies.
- Like many other readers I too had a doubt if it will turn out right and boy I was in for a big surprise! These egg free sugar cookies turned out absolutely gorgeous and delicious. Not too sweet, not too crispy or not too chewy…just the perfect texture. The only change I made was to use a little extra vanilla extract then mentioned in the original recipe, which really gave the cookies a very good flavor and aroma.
A couple of months back when I was browsing my favorite recipe website I was excited to find a sugar cookie recipe without eggs. I bookmarked it dutifully to bake it a little ahead of the Winter Holidays to test bake and sort of completely forgot about it.
Then one day my kids insisted that they wanted to bake with me and I couldn’t find any fun recipe other than this eggless sugar cookie recipe. Once I told them the idea that they get to decorate it with colored sprinkles they were jumping in joy.
So here on-wards when it’s Christmastime and you don’t have to wonder how to make sugar cookies without eggs because here is your solution. Tried and taste tested by children as well as adults, a very easy to bake no egg sugar cookies.