I had put a hold on baking for the past couple of months and my interest has been rekindled by the book Vegan Brunch by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. She has got simple and interesting baking recipes in the book. After the vegan waffles recipe, I tried two other vegan muffin recipes and both turned out great. This vegan chocolate chip muffin recipe is from that book too which I have modified slightly.
The original recipe was actually for coffee chip muffins, so a tablespoon of coffee powder was mixed with the milk, which I have omitted. Also I substituted whole wheat pastry flour for the all purpose flour. I also chose to use 1/4 cup each of unsweetened applesauce and oil for the 1/2 cup of oil. Both the muffin recipes I tried from that book did not yield 12 muffins as mentioned in the recipe. I got 9 muffins for the vegan strawberry muffin recipe and 8 for this one. Actually I could have managed 9 for this one too but not more than that.
|Vegan Chocolate Chip Muffins
Prep time: 20 Mins
Cook time: 25 Mins
Yields: 8 Muffins
Very easy to bake, these vegan chocolate chip muffins will become your “go-to” vegan muffin recipe.
- 1 Cup Almond Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1/2 Cup White Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Nuts (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C for 15 minutes. Lightly grease a muffin tin or line it with paper liners.
- In a small bowl mix together the milk and vinegar and set aside for about 5 minutes or until it curdles.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients and make a well in the center.
- To it add the milk mixture, applesauce, oil and vanilla extract. Mix together until the batter is just moistened. Fold in the chocolate chips and nuts, if using.
- Scoop out about 1/3rd cup of batter in each muffin cup. Bake for about 25-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Mine was done in 25 minutes.
- These vegan chocolate chip muffins turned out very tender, light and fluffy. Actually very light for a whole wheat flour muffin. This recipe could be a wonderful base for a vegan muffin recipe wherein you could incorporate your choice of add-ons, anything from fresh fruit to dried fruits, nuts, etc.
- Use the 1/3rd dry measuring cup to scoop out the batter to get equal sized muffins throughout.
- Do not be in a hurry to taste the muffins if you use whole wheat flour because it usually tastes better after a few hours. Although we liked our whole wheat pastry flour muffins while it was still warm.
- Also the muffin liner does not come off immediately if you don’t lightly grease it with non-stick cooking spray.