When I saw this recipe, I immediately knew that my family would love it with few changes. My 6 year old doesn’t eat salads with lettuce and other salad greens but he is a fan of all other vegetables. So this steamed salad was a hit with him too.
Sicilian Steamed Salad Recipe
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Makes|
|15 Mins||20 Mins||3-4 People As Main Course|
If you are person who eats with their eyes first, then this steamed salad recipe is for you. A look at this colorful bowl of salad will instantly energize you.
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup carrots, sliced thickly
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced olives
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup orange juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup parsley or coriander
- salt and pepper to taste
- Steam cook the cauliflower, broccoli and carrots. Prepare the dressing meanwhile.
- In a large bowl add the olive oil, orange juice and turmeric powder (if using) and whisk it well until it’s smooth and creamy. Then mix in the minced garlic, coriander, salt and pepper and whisk it once again.
- Toss in the steamed vegetables, bell pepper and olives. Combine well until the dressing is evenly spread throughout the vegetables. Serve immediately, or chill in the refrigerator for upto 2 days.
- For steaming the vegetables, I fill a medium-size saucepan with 1/4 inch water. When it starts to boil, I place the steaming basket with cleaned vegetables and sprinkle very little salt and close the lid. Cauliflower takes about 8-10 minutes per batch. The magic number for broccoli is 6 minutes. About 4 minutes should be fine for carrots. You could use the microwave oven too but I have read somewhere that broccoli should not be cooked in a microwave oven and also like the texture better steaming the traditional way.
- Turmeric powder and coriander are my additions. What else can you expect from an Indian cook? Having read about the amazing nutritional properties of turmeric, I think I will start a Facebook fan page for it. To find an opportunity to use it every day.
- Adding Italian seasoning to the dressing or just dried oregano will make it truly Italian.
- You could throw in some cooked whole wheat pasta and top it with grated Parmesan cheese to make this salad a meal all by itself.