Eggless Cumin Cookies

Cumin Cookies

Since I’m also new to baking, I want to try very simple recipes only. This is one such cookie recipe. So if I can do it, anybody can do it. I’m stressing this point because I know how I used to think that “baking” and “difficult” were synonyms. So don’t hesitate to bake, just start with this recipe. You need not prepare a big shopping list to get the ingredients. Your pantry is not complete without these basic items. There is no creaming of butter and sugar, you don’t need any electric mixer. It’s as easy as kneading dough for rotis. Click here for the recipe.

My Notes:

1. I scaled down the entire recipe to half the original quantity. So I took 1 cup of all purpose flour, 1 tbspn cumin etc.
2. I added 1/4 tspn pepper powder. That’s the only addition I made, otherwise I just followed the recipe.
3. Once you form a ball of dough and roll it, it looks kind of flaky.
4. The recipe calls for baking at 180 C, so if you are in US you may want to bake it at 350 F for about 25 min.
5. I got around 20 cookies. It was a bit spicy for my family, so I would just reduce the amount of pepper and not totally omit it. It was a nice crunchy tea time snack. Each cookie had 2 layers. I have not captured this properly in my picture, but if you watch carefully Sunita’s picture of the cookies you can get an idea.

Stage 1:

In a mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients and oil except milk.

Flour Mix

Stage 2:

Add the milk and knead the mixture.

Dough

Stage 3:

Roll the dough, cut into desired shape and place it on a prepared baking tray.

Shaped Out Cookies

Stage 4:

Bake it in a pre-heated oven at 350F for 20-25 minutes.

Share with your friends:

You should also check out...

Eggless Spicy Buns made with Pizza Dough

15 Responses to “Eggless Cumin Cookies”

1. varsha says:

hi madhuram…I’m a lover of salty cookies And this one was awesome :lol: Everyone loved it . I added little ajwain for extra flavour. Actually it reminded
    me of the biscuits we used to get in Khadi…. hoping to see more salt & spicy varieties :smile:

Thanks Varsha for trying the recipe. I can imagine how good the cookies would have tasted with ajwain.

2. bindu says:

Do you have a recipe for atta biscuits we have in India. I remember going to bakery with ingredients to get these fresh baked biscuits whole weaht flour, ghee fennel seeds and milk is all i remember.

Sorry Bindu, I don’t have that recipe, but will definitely try it and post it when I find one.

3. gg says:

when i click the link to the recipe it asks for some information and to install wordpress. so please can u give the recipe .thank u

Check here.

4. kavita says:

hi madhu

I tried the cumin cookies, they turned out really well, second time I tried to use half all purpose flour and half whole wheat flour….taste is not really up to the mark.

That’s a nice idea Kavita.

5. abc says:

Hi Madhuram

I tried these cookies, added sesame seeds as well. All the friends liked it and was asking for these more poories :smile:

Thank you.

That’s great ABC.

6. Amber Sackett says:

these turned out lovely, perfect for wine.
    they became more of a biscuit, maybe because i used baking powder and soda.

i made changes because i love to do that.

i used
    1 cup of soy flour
    1 cup of regular flour

soymilk

i added a dash of cloves and bitter coco, also shredded unsweetened coconut.
    i cut them in half and put some margarine on them. so good.

Wow, that’s a lot of changes Amber. Sounds great.

7. richa says:

Will try them today i think, not with jeera but ajwain! cant wait..