A couple of days ago while I was browsing for recipes on Pinterest, as usual, I saw a homemade buttermilk waffles recipe which piqued my curiosity because the photo of that waffle looked beautiful, delicious and tempting.
I wanted to re-create an eggless version of the buttermilk waffles. So I set out to find more such recipes to make my own. After blog hopping for a few minutes, I realized that I should use the vegan waffles recipe that I already have in the blog to come up with a recipe for buttermilk waffles without eggs.
I made some alterations to the original recipe and these no-eggs buttermilk waffles turned out beautiful, tasty and crispy around the edges and soft in the middle. Yet another time the original vegan waffles recipe proved to be the best waffle recipe and versatile too.
Homemade Buttermilk Waffles Recipe
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Makes|
|15 Mins||15 Mins||3 Round Waffles (12 Pieces)|
- 1 and 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 and 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl add the wet ingredients one by one and mix it thoroughly with a whisk.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix it until the batter is smooth. It should have the consistency of pancake batter; neither too thick nor too thin.
- Spray the waffle iron with cooking spray and make waffles according to the instructions that come with your waffle iron.
- Serve it warm topped with fruits of your choice and maple syrup/whipped cream.
- Cornmeal gives a distinct crisp texture to these or any waffles. You may omit it and substitute it with whatever flour you are using but the texture will vary accordingly.
- This buttermilk waffle batter can be made ahead of time and refrigerated for the next day’s breakfast.
- Once you make all the waffles, the leftovers can be stored in Ziploc bags and frozen for later use. Using bread toaster to toast the chilled waffles will make it fresh and crispy again.
|Per Serving||% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 1.1g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0.3g||2%|
|Trans Fat 0%|
|Total Carb 11.9g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|Vitamin D 0mcg – 0%|
|Calcium 103mg – 8% – Iron 1mg – 3%|
This recipe did not work for me. The waffle was still raw on the other side, and I ended up having to broil the other half to cook it through. The waffle had a slimy, chewy texture.
Sorry to hear that, Samantha. I’m guessing that the waffle iron might not have been hot enough.
Hi Madhuram! I tried these eggless buttermilk waffles and they turned out amazing. Just made a few changes to the recipe – I used 1& 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour and 1/2 cup of regular whole wheat flour, used raw sugar instead of maple syrup and used grapeseed oil instead of avocado oil. The waffles were soft and fluffy on the inside and crisp to perfection on the outside. They tasted great although I did feel the grit of cornmeal in the waffles. I topped mine with maple syrup while my sister drizzled chocolate sauce all over hers. It was a family hit ! Thanks for the recipe!
That’s awesome, Angela.