While browsing recipes for Valentine’s Day I came across a few pink velvet cupcake recipes and was fascinated because it looked very pleasant and special. I went through some of these recipes and wasn’t satisfied for one reason or the other.
That’s when I decided to change my eggless vanilla cupcake recipe a bit and bake these gorgeous eggless pink velvet cupcakes. I had some silken tofu at home and wanted to incorporate that too in the recipe. So made some tweaks to my original cupcake recipe.
These no egg pink velvet cupcakes turned out better than what I expected. The only thing that could have been better was the color because I didn’t get the pink color which I saw in the other recipes. I guess I should have added few more drops of the food coloring.
Pretty Pink Velvet Cupcakes Recipe
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Makes|
|20 Mins||15 Mins||12 Cupcakes|
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup pureed tofu
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-4 tablespoons water (optional, as needed)
- 2-3 drops red food coloring
- As needed, Betty Crocker’s vanilla frosting
- As needed, Colored sprinkles, sugar and confetti
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C for 15 minutes. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners or lightly grease it non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together the ingredients in Part 1 and make a well.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together the ingredients listed in Part 2 except the food coloring and beat it with an electric beater. The mixture will look curdled and it’s ok.
- Now pour the wet mix into the flour well and stir well using a wooden spoon or spatula. Do not use an electric beater for this. Add some water in small increments if the batter is too thick. Add the food coloring. You may have to add more drops depending upon the shade of pink you want.
- Fill each muffin cup with batter about 3/4ths full. Bake it for about 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean. Mine was done in 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and place it on a wire rack for about 10 minutes. Then take the cupcakes out of the pan and place it on the cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- I should have used more red food coloring to get the pink hue I was expecting.
- I used store bought frosting to frost these cupcakes. Apply a thin layer of frosting on the cooled cupcakes and dip it in colored sprinkles. Frost and decorate as you wish. I kept mine very simple.