I picked up a box of Kodiak Cakes flapjack and pancake mix for the first time from Costco a few days back.
I was surprised to see the list of ingredients, made with whole-grain flour and loaded with protein powder it was a powerhouse of fiber and protein.
I baked whole-grain chocolate chip cookies using this mix and seeing that it turned out great, wanted to try using it in muffins too and that’s how this vegan apple oatmeal muffins recipe was born.
I took inspiration from this recipe and made it vegan. Everyone loved these wholesome muffins. It didn’t taste healthy at all making it a huge hit with my kids too.
Vegan Apple Oatmeal Muffins Recipe
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Makes|
|20 Mins||20 Mins||12 Muffins|
- 1 1/2 cups Kodiak flour
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/4 cups almond milk
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 and 1/2 cups shredded apples (2 apples)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 400° F/200° C. Spray a muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, ground flaxseed, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the almond milk, oil, vanilla, vinegar, and mix until combined.
- Stir in the apples and 1/2 of the walnuts.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling almost to the top. Use the rest of the walnuts to sprinkle of top of the muffins.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes at 400° F/200° C. Then reduce the temperature to 375° F/180° C and bake for another 8-10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffin comes out clean.
- I was surprised that these vegan apple oatmeal muffins had a light texture even though it was made with whole grain flour and lots of oats. Also it doesn’t taste like cardboard at all like how some healthy baked treats taste. My kids loved these healthy apple muffins and kept asking for it everyday and they finished it of in 3 days.
- You can use regular whole wheat flour instead of Kodiak flour. Also use your choice of milk, oil to suit your dietary requirements. That won’t alter the taste or texture of these vegan apple muffins.
- You can also substitute the apples with carrots, zucchini, pear, etc.