Today is the first day of school for the kids after two long months of summer vacation! It’s always a mixed feeling. Surprised them with these delicious vegan chocolate banana pancakes.
Two months seems to be a very long time and around the last 2 weeks it really gets overwhelming and I’m secretly happy that school is about to start in a couple of days but as the day got closer I start to feel very sad that they won’t be home during the day anymore. The kids were also sort of excited and nervous at the same time about starting the new school year.
To make their first day feel a bit special I wanted to make some breakfast which will lift their mood. Pancakes and waffles would do the trick anytime at our home. While browsing Pinterest for recipe ideas I came across some chocolate banana pancake recipes.
The recipes that I checked either were low carb, gluten-free or with eggs. I didn’t have the proper ingredients to make it gluten-free so I used my very own vegan banana pancake recipe to make these thick and fluffy vegan double chocolate banana pancakes and to my surprise, it came out very well.
I tried to use mostly healthy ingredients like whole wheat pastry flour for the fiber content, some Chia seeds for omega 3 fatty acids and protein, heart-healthy avocado oil, more banana and less sweetener.
Unsweetened cocoa powder and some mini semisweet chocolate chips were used to make these delicious double chocolate banana pancakes.
I prepared the batter and let it rest for an hour or so before making the pancakes. I don’t if this resting time allowed the Chia seeds to soften up or what because I didn’t feel a crunchy bite of the seeds while eating these chocolate banana pancakes. I’m not sure if the texture of the Chia seeds would be more prominent if I hadn’t given the rest time.
Vegan Double Chocolate Banana Pancakes Recipe
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Makes|
|10 Mins||15 Mins||10 Pancakes|
- 1 and 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1 and 1/4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (any oil)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl stir together the dry mix ingredients, make a well in the center and keep it aside.
- In another medium-sized bowl add the ingredients listed under the “wet mix” one by one and mix well.
- Pour the wet mix into the flour mix and combine together until the flour is all moistened and mixed well. Few lumps are ok. Do not over mix.
- Set aside the banana pancake batter for at least 5-10 minutes.
- Heat a pan/griddle. Once it is warm enough add about 1/3rd of a cup of the pancake batter to the pan. You will see air bubbles forming indicating that it is getting cooked. Flip it over and cook it for another minute or so.
- Repeat it for the rest of the batter and serve it warm with maple syrup, coconut whipped cream or cut up fruits/nuts.
- Whole wheat pastry flour might need more liquid than all-purpose flour. So if you plan to use all-purpose flour start with 1 cup of almond milk/any other liquid you are using and then add liquid in smaller increments if required.
- If you don’t want to make it vegan use dairy milk instead. Any oil, milk of your choice can be used.
|Per Serving||% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 4.8g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0%|
|Total Carb 14.1g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.6g||9%|
|Vitamin D 0mcg – 0%|
|Calcium 102mg – 8% | Iron 1mg – 4%|