Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Waffles: It’s been a while since I used peanut butter in my cooking/baking other than the smoothie I make for breakfast.
It’s a peanut butter, chocolate, and banana smoothie which is a hit with my kids and yesterday I felt like trying a similar combination with waffles because I already have a vegan peanut butter pancake recipe here.
I used my trusted vegan waffles recipe as a base for this vegan peanut butter banana waffle recipe and it didn’t fail me.
The kids loved this flavor combination. I added some chocolate chips only to a portion of the batter because my husband doesn’t eat chocolate. Add chocolate, nuts of your choice for even better taste and flavor.
Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Waffles Recipe
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Makes|
|10 Mins||3-5 Mins/Waffle||6 round waffles|
- 1 and 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal (see My Notes)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 and 1/4 cups mashed banana (see My Notes)
- 3/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl add the wet ingredients one by one and mix it thoroughly with a whisk.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix it until the batter is smooth. It should have the consistency of pancake batter; neither too thick nor too thin.
- Spray the waffle iron with cooking spray and make waffles according to the instructions that come with your waffle iron.
- Serve it with fruit and maple syrup.
- The flavor of peanut butter was dominant than the banana flavor. Not that I am complaining. The texture was crunchy, to begin with, and softens later. You can always throw it in the bread toaster and toast it for hot and fresh waffles.
- I usually use 1/4 cup of cornmeal in my waffle recipes to give it a nice crunch. I didn’t have enough so just added the 1 tablespoon. The waffles were not as crunchy as those waffles but definitely good. So you can add 1/4 cup of cornmeal if you have it and in that case, you might have to increase the quantity of water a little bit.
- I used smooth and creamy peanut butter, but adding crunchy peanut butter will give a good texture as well.
- Adding chocolate chips too is a great way to indulge.