Fruitcake Bars Recipe
I was doing a pantry/fridge audit before leaving to India and found some butter, dates and candied fruit left unused. I didn’t want to leave it behind for another 2 months. So while scouring through my recipe bookmarks I found this fruitcake bars recipe from my favorite recipe source, which perfectly matched my ingredients list. Baking and taking/sending something to India has become a tradition, just like we get something from there. I decided to bake these bars just a day before our scheduled trip so that it will keep good for a couple of days after reaching there.
|Fruitcake Bars Recipe|
- 3/4 Cup Butter, Softened
- 1 And 3/4 Cups Brown Sugar (I Used Light)
- 6 Teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer Powder
- 12 Tablespoons Lukewarm Water
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 And 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 3 Cups Walnuts, Chopped
- 1 And 3/4 Cups Candied Pineapple, Chopped Into Bite Size Pieces
- 1 And 3/4 Cups Candied Cherries, Halved
- 2 Cups Pitted Dates, Diced Into Small Pieces
- Preheat oven at 325F/160C for 15 minutes. Grease a 15×10 inch pan (jelly roll pan) either with shortening or non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Blend the egg replacer powder and lukewarm water in a mixer until it’s frothy and keep it aside.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until it’s light and fluffy.
- Add the egg substitute mixture to the creamed butter in small additions and beating well after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Add in the flour and chopped nuts and combine it well with a rubber spatula.
- Spread the dough onto the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the candied pineapple, cherries and diced dates on the dough and press it lightly.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes or until lightly browned. I removed the pan around 47 minutes.
- Cool it completely on a wire rack before cutting into bars.
- I baked these fruitcake bars to take it with me to India and no wonder it was a super-duper hit with everybody. On the day these bars were baked I felt that the dough part of the bars were not sweet enough but just like the usual fruitcake which gets better as it ages, these bars too tasted great after a couple of days. But with the traveling and storing it in the fridge after reaching India, the cookie base did lose it’s initial flakiness.
- For easy chopping of candied pineapple and dates, do grease the knife with shortening or non-stick cooking spray.
Share with your friends: