My eldest son’s favorite vegetable is broccoli. So it finds a place in his lunch at least twice a week. His favorite combo is steamed broccoli and carrots sauteed with mushrooms and tofu/paneer, seasoned with curry powder.
Since I’m on an hypoallergenic diet and have to avoid mushrooms, dairy and soy products, I used black beans instead. I steamed about 4 cups of broccoli. Used some of it to prepare his favorite for school lunch and the rest with black beans was breakfast for my mom and me.
Broccoli and Black Beans Stir-Fry Recipe
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Makes|
|10 Mins||15 Mins||2 Servings|
- 2 cups steamed broccoli florets
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 garlic clove minced finely
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- a pinch red chili flakes
- a pinch turmeric powder
- as needed salt to taste
- as needed lime juice (optional)
- Steam the broccoli florets for exactly 6 minutes to get the best possible texture. It’s neither raw nor mushy and retains a nice crunch. I used a stove top steamer basket for steaming the broccoli.
- In a large frying pan add the sesame oil and don’t let it smoke. Once it is warm, add the sesame seeds, red chili flakes, chopped ginger and garlic, turmeric powder and salt; stir it for about 2 minutes
- Add the steamed broccoli florets and cooked black beans and combine well. Squirt some lime juice to taste.
- You can use vegetables like cauliflower, carrot with the broccoli and choose to season it with flavors of your choice. I didn’t use soy sauce because it’s not gluten-free. You can use tamari (Japanese soy sauce) instead.