Rice Pudding is the western version of our own Indian Rice Kheer (Paal Payasam) but in the consistency of Sweet (Sarkarai) Pongal. We add saffron threads and cardamom in the Indian pudding. Here they add vanilla extract and cinnamon to flavor the pudding. While browsing “The Joy of Vegan Baking” by Colleen Patrick – Goudreau, I came across this pudding recipe using brown rice instead of white rice and non dairy milk instead of dairy milk. Since I had both soy milk and brown rice at home I decided to make the brown rice pudding.
Brown Rice Pudding Recipe
|50 Mins + 1 Hr Refrigerate Time
- 2 And 1/2 Plus 1/4 Cup Dairy Or Non-Dairy Milk (I Used Soy Milk)
- 1/4 Cup Long Or Short Grain Brown Rice
- 1/8 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 To 3 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon (I Omitted)
- 1/4 Cup Raisins (Optional)
- In a heavy bottom saucepan, combine the 2 and 1/2 cup milk, rice and salt. I did not use the liquid measuring mug to measure 2 and 1/2 cups of milk, use the same dry measuring cup which you use to measure rice/flour etc.
- Place the pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Keep an eye on the stove or else it will start boiling all over the place.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the rice is tender, about 40 minutes.
- Stir frequently to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- When the rice is cooked, remove from the heat and add thee sugar, vanilla and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon (if using).
- Return to the stove, and cook until the rice pudding thickens, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the raisins, if using.
- Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours before serving.
- I was not sure if the rice would cook properly, because this was the first time I was cooking brown rice. So I ground the rice coarsely in a coffee grinder before cooking it. In that case it cooks completely around 25 minutes.
- After a comment from a visitor Lise regarding the ratio of milk and rice, I tried it once again without powdering the rice and also reduced the quantity of milk from the original 3 cups to 2 and 1/2 cups. I noticed that if using whole rice it takes at least 40 minutes for the rice to cook tender. Also add 2 tablespoons of sugar first and increase according to your taste.
- After adding the sugar, vanilla and cinnamon it took around 10 minutes for the pudding to thicken. At this point I felt the consistency was right, if I was going to consume it immediately. Since I was going to have it after dinner, I had to refrigerate and the pudding will thicken even more, so I added little less than 1/4 cup of milk and heated it for another 2 minutes and then stored in the fridge. So add additional milk to your preferred consistency.
This brown rice pudding recipe is my entry for: