Lace cookies are thin and crispy around the edges and have small openings resembling a lace and hence the name. These cookies were categorized under “Dessert-time Cookies” in the book. Any cookie is good for dessert, but these are more elegant and sophisticated with lots of chopped pistachios and a hint of rosewater. (Recipe Source: Cookies! by Pippa Cuthbert and Lindsay Cameron Wilson)
The cookies were crisp around the edges,chewy in the middle and had the right amount of sweetness. But they have way too much butter, so consume wisely.
Eggless Lace Cookies Recipe
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Makes|
|20 Mins||08 Mins + Cooling Time||23 Cookies|
- 1 And 1/4 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Corn Syrup
- 1 Stick Butter
- 1 Cup Chopped Pistachios
- 1 Tablespoon Rosewater
- Preheat the oven to 375F/190C for 15 minutes.
- Lightly grease or line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour with the salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Combine the brown sugar, corn syrup and butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Boil for 30 seconds.
- Remove from the heat and stir into the flour mixture together with the chopped pistachios and rosewater. The batter will not be stiff like regular cookie dough. It will have the consistency of idli/dosa batter, so don’t worry.
- Drop the batter using a 1/2 tablespoon, 3 inches apart onto the baking sheets.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned.
- Carefully remove the cookies from the baking sheets and store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Allow to cool on the baking sheets.
- As per the original recipe a tablespoonful of dough should be dropped on a baking sheet. I did it and the cookies spread very much touching each other. Either reduce it to half a tablespoon of batter or give enough space between each cookie.
- When I lifted the cookies from the baking sheet I noticed that the bottoms were very greasy due to the butter. So I had to give each and every cookie a nice dab with kitchen towels. So reserve these cookies for some special/fancy occasion. Do not indulge!