Over the years I have baked a lot using bananas, but haven't baked banana oatmeal muffins. This time while browsing for banana recipes in Pinterest I happened to see a couple of banana muffins with oats recipes. Many of those banana oat muffins recipes were easy to bake and healthy too.
Took inspiration from few recipes and I put together my own eggless version of healthy banana muffins with oats. These are not just oatmeal banana muffins without eggs but are vegan too.
I have used flax egg as egg substitute in this banana muffin recipe. Also since I was not following any recipe in particular I decided to make a small batch because didn't want to take a chance of wasting the ingredients if it didn't turn out good.
I need not have worried after all because these no egg banana oatmeal muffins turned out absolutely great! The muffins could have been a little bit sweeter for most of the people I guess but it was fine for us because we don't prefer very sweet muffins.
I also made it as mini banana oat muffins so that I can pack it as a small snack for my kids' school. That's why didn't add walnuts or any other nuts because schools here are nut-free.
I tried to incorporate few ingredients to make it a healthy breakfast oatmeal muffin recipe. So I have used whole wheat pastry flour, coconut palm sugar, avocado oil and organic almond milk. In the past I have sometimes not liked banana muffins made with whole wheat flour.
So tried it with whole wheat pastry flour this time and it was really good. Didn't miss the all-purpose flour at all.
Healthy Banana Oatmeal Muffins Recipe
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Makes|
|20 Mins||15 Mins||12 Mini-Muffins|
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 flax egg
- 1/2 cup mashed banana
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 3 tablespoons almond milk (see My Notes)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- whole wheat pastry flour = all-purpose flour
- coconut palm sugar = brown sugar
- flax egg = 1/4 cup yogurt (dairy or non-dairy)
- avocado oil = any oil of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C.
- Line 12 cup mini muffin tin with cupcake liners and grease it lightly with non-stick cooking spray so that the muffins will peel off the paper liner easily without sticking to it.
- Make flax egg in a small bowl and set aside.
- Put together the dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix it well to combine. Make a well in the centre.
- In another medium size bowl stir together all the wet ingredients and mix it with a whisk.
- Pour the wet mix into the flour mix well, stir gently to moisten all ingredients, don't over mix.
- Use a tablespoonful of the banana oats muffin batter to scoop out and fill it in the muffin cups.
- Bake it for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove the muffin tin from the oven and place it on a wire rack for about 5 minutes and then remove the muffins from the tin and let it cool completely on the rack before you can store it in an air-tight container.
- Increase the quantity of sugar by another tablespoon or two if you prefer sweeter muffins.
- You may also need to add another tablespoon or two of almond milk to get the right consistency for the muffin batter.
| Calories: 78|
Total Fat: 1.7g
Saturated fat: 0.9g
Unsaturated fat: 0.8g
Total Carbohydrate: 14.0
| Sugars: 4.8g|
Dietary Fiber: 1.7g
These eggless banana oat muffins can be frozen and thawed before serving. Once the muffins are cool completely wrap it individually with plastic wrap and store the wrapped muffins in a freezer safe plastic bag. Thaw it overnight or warm it up in the microwave oven for a few seconds before serving.
Just made these. Used white flour because I didn’t have whole wheat pastry. Followed all other directions exactly. I cooked them for about 20 minutes because they didn’t seem quite ready. They didn’t look like yours did not change in size but were tasty! Thank you.
Did you make them as mini muffins or regular size muffins? Regular sized muffins will need more time.
“That’s why didn’t add walnuts or any other nuts because schools here are nut-free.”
What is almond milk made from?
We have a child who is allergic to milk, eggs and tree nuts (he can have peanuts).
Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Jackie.