I’m back with another hot and spicy soup. We had a lot of zucchinis in the fridge (thanks to Costco!) and I was browsing for recipes to use it up. I came across a lot of zucchini soup recipes. I decided to add my version of zucchini soup to the never-ending list.
I made this vegan zucchini soup a couple of weeks back and we all loved it at our house. The curry powder in the recipe gives this soup an amazing taste, flavor, and aroma. Use a high-quality curry powder to experience the true flavor. If you are not a fan of curry powder you can try this soup using Sambar powder too. In that case use just 1/2 a teaspoon of it because sambar powder can be spicier than curry powder.
Zesty Zucchini Soup Recipe
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Makes|
|15 Mins||20 Mins||5-6 Servings|
Western ingredient zucchini comes together with exotic eastern spice curry powder and what we get out of this amazing fusion is a satisfying soup for a chilly fall day.
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons curry powder (See My Notes)
- 1 cup carrots, grated
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 cups zucchini, finely chopped or grated
- 1 cup apple, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 4-5 cups vegetable broth or water
- Heat oil in a large soup pot or pressure cooker.
- Add the finely chopped onions, salt and sugar. Fry the onions until it’s caramelized. Stir in the curry powder too and fry for a minute.
- Now add the carrots, celery, zucchini and apple and sauteed it for about 3 minutes adding little water if needed.
- Add about 2 cups of water or broth and close the pot with a lid. Cook until the vegetables are tender. This may take about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the stove and blend the vegetables using an immersion blender; adding some more water or broth if required for smooth blending. If you don’t have an immersion blender wait for the cooked vegetables to cool down and then blend it in the blender.
- To the blended soup add water or broth to get the desired consistency. Taste for seasoning and add some more salt/pepper if needed.
- Bring the soup to a boil and serve it hot with tortilla chips or crackers.
- The amount of curry powder to use depends upon how pungent and spicy you want it. If you are new to curry powder start with a teaspoon and take it from there. Also keep in mind that the spice levels vary from brand to brand.
- If zucchini is not available substitute it with bottle gourd, butternut squash or pumpkin.
Try this recipe, click a pic and hashtag it #egglesscooking - Proudly showcase your creations on Instagram, Facebook & Twitter!