Cabbage Vegetable Soup: It’s been a while since I posted any recipes other than eggless/vegan baking recipes. I tried a variety of soup recipes last Winter and the recipe for cabbage vegetable soup and cream of broccoli soup with heavy cream is something that I kept making quite often because it was a super-duper hit at home when I made it the first time.
This flu-fighter garlic soup is one of the most tried soup recipes in the blog and I’m sure that this recipe for cabbage vegetable soup will also became as popular pretty soon.
So today I’m going to share that cabbage vegetable soup recipe. Making healthy and homemade vegetable soup can’t get any easier. It’s one of the simplest recipes that anyone can cook and nobody can mess up.
All you have to do is add all the ingredients to the stockpot or any other utensil you will be using and boil it for 15 minutes and the soup is ready. Now tell me isn’t it easy?
I usually use my 8-liter pressure cooker for all soup recipes because it makes a lot to feed a family of 5 and have some leftovers for the next day too. You don’t need a pressure cooker for this soup recipe though. Any stockpot or Dutch oven with a lid should be enough.
How To Make Cabbage Vegetable Soup?
Here are the step-by-step instructions on making easy tasty cabbage vegetable soup from scratch.
Cabbage Vegetable Soup Recipe
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Makes|
|20 Mins||20 Mins||8 Servings|
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt (or as needed)
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp black pepper (or as needed)
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 3 carrots, peeled & chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped (any color)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 19 fl. oz can kidney beans
- 2 cups tomatoes/pasta sauce (See My Notes)
- 4-5 cups water or vegetable broth
- Water as needed
- 3-4 cups baby spinach, optional
- In a pressure cooker (Dutch oven or large stockpot), heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions and garlic to the pot and cook stirring regularly, for 3-5 minutes until the onions are translucent. Add a pinch of salt while frying the onions will quicken the cooking process.
- Add the celery, cabbage, carrots, bell pepper, pasta sauce, broth, salt, Italian seasoning, and black pepper and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, close the pan with a lid and simmer for an additional 15 minutes or until all vegetables are tender. Check for seasoning and add more if necessary. The soup is ready to be served.
- If you want to up the health benefits and increase the quantity of fiber you can now stir in cleaned baby spinach. It will wilt in the heat. Cooking it again is not necessary. You may choose to chop the spinach or add it as it is.
- Serve the hot cabbage vegetable soup with your choice of bread.
- The vegetables mentioned in the recipe can be followed as simple guidelines and you don’t have to stick to it entirely to make this wonderful soup recipe. Simply use what you have in hand. You can also throw in some potatoes, corn, black beans, broccoli, kale, etc.
- For the past couple of years, I have been using pasta sauce as a replacement for tomatoes in soup recipes, which is one of the reasons my soups are always flavorful. I found a wonderful way to finish the huge opened bottles of pasta/marinara sauce from Costco which otherwise starts getting bad even when stored in the fridge. Nowadays I get pasta sauce just to use it in soups than using it for pasta.
- You may have to reduce the quantity of Italian herbs and salt if you plan to use pasta sauce in the soup. So I would suggest omitting salt altogether if you plan to use pasta sauce and vegetable broth. Taste for seasoning and then decide accordingly. If getting low or no-sodium vegetable broth that should be a good option too to keep sodium under control. I have made this soup with and without vegetable broth and really don’t find much of a difference in the taste and flavor.