I was on a short break and am back with an easy recipe for zucchini kootu. I learnt it from my mother-in- law.
Using rice rinsed water, this simple and tasty side dish can be prepared in no time. I guess this is similar to the Eriseri which is prepared in Kerala, using plain water.
Usually when I use an electric rice cooker I wash the rice and soak it for 30 minutes and then cook it, to get a soft texture. So whenever I use my electric rice cooker, I make this kootu with the rice soaked water, because I don’t want to use the regular pressure cooker also just to cook daal for sambar/kootu.
My mother-in-law prepares this kootu with cucumber. I had only zucchini that day, so I tried it for the first time and it tasted so good.
Did you know that zucchini can be eaten raw too? I especially like it in raitha/thayir pachadi which is nothing but a traditional Indian style yogurt dip. That along with brown rice bisi bele bath is a wonderful combination. Try it for yourself!
Zucchini Kootu Recipe
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Makes|
|05 Mins||20 Mins||3 Servings|
- 1 Medium Sized Zucchini (Cut Into Small Cubes)
- Just Enough To Cover The Zucchini Water/Rice Soaked Water
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- As Per Taste Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Grated Coconut
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 Each Or As Per Taste Red Chillies/Green Chillies
- Little Milk/Water
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Urad Daal
- 1 Teaspoon Channa Daal
- A Pinch Hing
- Wash the rice like you always do, but instead of pouring it down the sink pour it in a sauce pan and add cubed zucchinis, tumeric powder and close the lid. When it is half cooked add the required amount of salt and let it cook for another couple of minutes. It should not become very mushy.
- Meanwhile grind all the ingredients together mentioned in the list and also do the tempering.
- Add the ground mixture and tempering to the zucchinis and let it boil for another 5 minutes. Garnish it with cilantro.
- This tasty kootu is good to be served with steaming hot white rice!