Eggless Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread

eggless chocolate chip zucchini bread

I was searching for zucchini recipes and found this one in Food Network’s site.  It’s by Paula Deen.  The original recipe yields 2 loaves, so I scaled down the ingredients to 50% to bake 1 loaf and used bananas to make it eggless.

Ingredients:

(PART 1)
All Purpose Flour 1.5 cups
Baking Powder 1/4 tspn
Baking Soda 1/2 tspn
Cinnamon 1/4 tspn ( I used even little because I’m not a big fan of cinnamon)
Salt 1/2 tspn

(PART 2)
Zucchini peeled and grated, 1 cup (I used 1 medium zucchini, the gratings measured nearly 1.5 cups)
Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips 1/2 cup (I used mini chocolate chips)
Pecans 1/2 cup, chopped

zucchini bread ingredients

(PART 3)
Vegetable Oil 1/2 cup
Granulated Sugar 3/4 cup
Bananas 2 medium size, mashed
Vanilla essence 1 tspn

Procedure:
1. Pre-heat the oven at 350F/180C for 15 minutes.
2. Combine ingredients in Part 1 and sieve them.
3. To this add the ingredients in Part 2.
4. Combine ingredients in Part 3 in a blender/or cream it using an electric hand mixer.  I used my magic bullet blender to blend it.  Add this mixture to the above dry ingredients and mix it well.  You may add a little milk, if you feel that the mixture requires some more liquid.  I had to add a couple of tablespoons of milk because I increased the quantity of zucchini.
5. Pour it in a greased bread loaf pan.

zucchini bread mix

6. Bake it at 350F for 50 min or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
7. Cool the bread in the pan for 30 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack.  Wait for another 30-45 minutes before slicing the bread.

eggless chocolate chip zucchini bread

zucchini bread sliced

The bread is very moist and tasty.  Click the images for a bigger view.

My Notes:
1. This is similar to the carrot cake recipe, but uses zucchini and chocolate chips instead.  Next time I will add both carrots and zucchinis.

2. I feel that the Magic Bullet Blender is very versatile.  I bought it 2 years back to puree steamed vegetables and fruits in small quantities for my infant son.  But it does a lot more.  The recipe booklet which comes along with the blender is also very useful.  I have made muffins and soups as mentioned in the recipe book and it has come out very well also.  Even in the above recipe I add all the ingredients in Part 3 in the blender’s big jar and gave it a few pulses and it’s ready within few minutes.  I find it more easy than using an electric hand mixer.

3. Use Vegan chocolate chips/carob chips to make this bread100% vegan.

Share with your friends:

You should also check out...

45 Responses to “Eggless Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread”

1. Meghana says:

Hi there,

I love this recipe and want to really try it. I am not a big fan of banana, can you please suggest a replacement for the 2 bananas?

Thanks,
    Meghana

• Madhuram says:

You could use 1/2 to 3/4th cup (depending upon the consistency of the batter) unsweetened applesauce instead and increase the quantity of sugar to 1 cup because the applesauce will not be sweet like bananas.

• Meghana says:

Thanks for the tip about using Apple Sauce. Sorry for being picky, any other replacement?

Meghana

• Madhuram says:

Don’t be sorry Meghana. You could use any pureed fruit or try plain milk. If you are using milk, add it little by little until you get the desired consistency.

2. Meghana says:

Thanks, I will give it a try with milk as a substitute!

3. Anu says:

Hi Madhu,

I used your recipe for this bread and added my own fav ingredients to it- baked an
    eggless strawberry chocolate almond bread with your recipe as base. Just
    posted about it on my blog and thanked you for the recipe too.

Thanks again for this – you know I love your site and come here often.
    My mom is visiting and she does not eat eggs and egg products.
    Your site is a boon for me when I want to bake something for her! Thanks!

Anu

4. Meghana says:

Thanks so much for the wonderful recipe. I tried this over the weekend and
    came out good. I used condensed milk instead of banana, not a big fan of that.

I tried removing it from the pan after 15 mins and that broke the bread.
    I should have waited for 30 mins??

Meghana

• Madhuram says:

That’s a nice idea to use condensed milk. The bread should cool completely. I would suggest even leaving it overnight. 15 minutes is too soon for quick bread especially.

5. Me too says:

Awesome recipe! Thanks so much for sharing it! Lately I bake this almost every alternate week as Banana cake which makes both kids happy and mom happy(I don’t utter the “Z” word or they will not come near it!)!

6. Norah says:

I made the Banana Zucchini Bread and my kids (1 & 3) loved it. My 3 year old who is an extremely picky eater loved it, we just don’t talk about the zucchini being in it (shhhhhh). We will make this again. I made 2 loaves and froze one, it freezes really nice. Thank you for the great recipe.