About a month and a half back I had borrowed the book Canada’s 150 Best Diabetes Desserts from the library. At that time I was contemplating going on a sugar free diet, so this book really intrigued me. The reason I chose to borrow this book was that artificial sweeteners were not used in the recipes. I already had cut way back on baking and it was just once or twice a month. So I thought it would be a good idea to cut back on the sugar even during those few occasions.
This oatmeal raisin muffin is the first recipe I tried from that book. The original recipe did have eggs and honey, which I have replaced with vinegar and maple syrup to make it vegan and the muffins came out very tasty. The sweetness was perfect for us. This made me thinking that I should be able to cut back at least 25%-35% of sugar in any recipe for that matter without affecting the taste of the baked goodies. I have bookmarked a couple of other interesting recipes to try from that book. So do take a look at that book when you are at the library the next time.
|Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Muffins Recipe|
- 1 and 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1/2 cup Oats (Quick Cooking)
- 1/4 cup Ground Flax seed
- 1/4 cup White Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 and 1/4 cups Almond Milk
- 1 tablespoon Vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
- 1/4 cup Oil ( I used organic, refined melted Coconut Oil)
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- 1/2 cup Walnuts, chopped
|Whole Wheat Pastry Flour||Whole wheat flour and all purpose flour (50:50)|
|Almond Milk||Any non-dairy milk for vegans or dairy milk for others|
|Apple Cider Vinegar||White vinegar|
|Oil||Any flavorless oil for vegans or melted butter for others|
|Raisins||Any dried fruit or chocolate chips|
|Walnuts||Almonds or Pecans|
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C for 15 minutes. Lightly grease or line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners. Mix the almond milk and vinegar together and set aside for 5 minutes, for the mixture to curdle. Mix about a tablespoon of flour with the raisins, so that the raisins will not sink to the bottom of the muffins.
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the curdled almond milk, maple syrup and coconut oil. Stir into flour mixture until just combined. Fold in the raisins and nuts.
- Fill each muffin cup about 3/4ths full. The batter was just enough for 10 muffins and not for 12 muffins mentioned in the original recipe. So I filled the remaining empty 2 muffin cups with some water, to ensure even baking of all the muffins.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Mine were ready in 16 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and cool it on a wire rack for 5-10 minutes. If you use paper liners, remove the muffins out of the pan just after 5 minutes to prevent condensation.
- I liked these vegan oatmeal raisin muffins, the very first time I baked it. They were light and not as dense as I had expected and the sweetness was just right. The only minor thing I noticed was the smell of baking powder. Actually none of the other tasters were able to tell it. So when my friend asked me to bake a batch of these muffins for her, I cut back 1 teaspoon of baking powder and the muffins still turned out great. So the recipe here is after the change in the quantity of baking powder. The original recipe had used 2 teaspoons. Also this recipe does not make 12 muffins. For the first batch I got 10 muffins and for the second I was able to manage 11 muffins.
- The original recipe had used regular whole wheat flour, egg, vegetable oil, honey and chocolate chips. I have used whole wheat pastry flour, vinegar, coconut oil, maple syrup and raisins instead.
- The muffins were to be baked at 400F/200C for 15-20 minutes as per the original recipe. The smoking point of the organic, expeller pressed, refined coconut oil I was using is 360F, so I chose to bake it at 350F. I was assuming that at such a lower temperature the muffins would take about 22-25 minutes to bake but it was done in 16 minutes itself.