I don’t know if it’s the season or what, I have become a cranberry-pistachio maniac. I’m using it almost everyday, even in my salad recipes. After the grand success of baking cranberry pistachio biscotti, I wanted to use this eye candy combination in cookies too. My eldest son was having a play date at his friend’s house and I was excited even more than him because now I have a reason to bake something. So I decided to bake some cookies and include my favorite combo. I had bookmarked this cookie recipe a while ago. It’s pretty simple and I had most of the ingredients at home and even otherwise this is a good recipe because it has room for substitutions. As usual I did not follow the recipe verbatim. You know that it’s not me! I have to keep trying new things, substituting one for the other.
I expected that these cookies would turn out crispy but instead it was sort of chewy. But not as chewy as these cranberry chocolate chip cookies. When we tasted it after a few hours of baking, it was crisp around the edges and soft in the middle but as time passed it became chewy throughout. I was able to feel the flavor of whole wheat flour but neither my son or my friend’s family had a problem with it. They said that they loved the cookies.
|Vegan Whole Wheat, Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip Cookies
Prep time: 30 Mins
Cook time: 12 Mins
Yields: 30 to 35 Cookies
Loaded with chocolate chips, cranberries and pistachios, this cookie will be a definite hit with your family and friends.
- 1 and 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegan butter substitute, softened
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1 tablespoon ener-g egg replacer (What is ener-g?)
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
- whole wheat flour – all purpose flour
- brown sugar – white sugar
- vegan butter – dairy butter or solidified coconut oil
- coconut oil – any other neutral flavor oil
- almond butter – peanut butter
- add ins – any dried fruit, nuts, chocolate chips of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C for 15 minutes. Beat together the egg replacer powder and water; set aside.
- In a medium bowl stir together the dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl beat together the brown sugar, vegan butter substitute and oil. Once it is smooth add the almond butter, ener-g mix and vanilla extract and beat well.
- Fold in the flour mix and combine well. Stir in the chocolate chips, cranberries and pistachios.
- Scoop out 1 tablespoonful of dough for each cookie and place it on a baking sheet 2 inches apart. Flatten the dough lightly with fingers.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until cookies are golden brown and dry on top. Remove the cookie sheet out of the oven and leave the cookies on it for another 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Store the cookies in an air tight container.
- The original recipe used peanut butter which I have replaced with almond butter but it was not at all noticeable. So you could might as well skip it or try substituting the 1/4 cup of vegan butter substitute also with almond butter and add 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract to get the almond flavor.
- I was able to feel the nutty flavor of whole wheat flour in this cookie recipe but my friend said that she didn’t feel it. So if you are not a fan of whole wheat flour in cookies go with plain flour itself or try a 50:50 of both the flours.
- 1 cup of chocolate chips was used in the original recipe. I have substituted some dried cranberries and pistachios for 1/2 a cup of chocolate chips.