I saw this recipe in Parents magazine. The original recipe was not completely vegetarian, so I changed it a little bit.
Vegetarian Stromboli Recipe
- 1 Cup Sliced Asparagus (Approximately 10-12 Spears)
- 1 Cup Yellow Peeper, Diced (1 Medium Size)
- 2 Seeded And Chopped Plum Tomatoes (I Used 1/4 Cup Of Crushed Tomatoes Instead)
- 1 Clove Minced Garlic (I Used 2 Cloves)
- 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- As Needed Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper (Not Mentioned In The Original Recipe)
- 1 Refrigerated Pizza Tube (I Used Pillsburry Pizza Crust)
- 1 Cup Shredded Italian Blend Cheese (I Used Part Skim Pizza Blend Cheese)
- Heat oven to 400F/200C for 15 minutes.
- In a glass bowl, combine asparagus, peepers, tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, salt, Italian seasoning and pepper.
- Mix them well and here is how it looks:
- Cover and microwave for 4 minutes, stirring once in the middle. Let cool 5 minutes. Drain off excess liquid. (But I did not have any excess liquid)
- Unroll pizza dough onto baking sheet and shape into a rectangle.
- Place half of cheese onto bottom third of dough along its length.
- Spread veegie filling onto cheese.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Roll up to shape stromboli (into a log).
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Let cool 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
- I got around 23 pieces for this measurement. My husband and I loved it. A different twist to the regular pizza.
- This was a bit salty, so you may want to increase the amount of pepper if you want it spicy.
- I suggest to cool the baked Stromboli even for 10 minutes, so that slicing will not be difficult and you will also get neat slices.
I was surprised and thrilled when my friend Dee, sent me a mail telling that her friend Yamuna is a regular visitor to my blog and she has tried the Asparagus and Pepper Stromboli and has sent a picture of it, telling that it has become her family's favorite. The slices have come out perfectly. Thank you very much dear Yamuna. You really made my day!