You may think why another blueberry muffin recipe when I have the best vegan blueberry muffins already here? My son had blueberry muffins with crumble topping at Starbucks the other day and I wanted to recreate it at home.
When I was looking for some blueberry muffins recipe with Streusel topping I came across quite a few but decided to use this recipe. I have used a combination of flax egg and apple cider vinegar as egg substitutes for the 2 eggs in the original recipe.
Blueberry Muffins With Streusel Crumb Topping Recipe
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Makes|
|25 Mins||23 Mins||12 Muffins|
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 2/3 cups fresh/frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick salted butter-melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees and line standard muffin pan with paper liners, grease it lightly with non-stick cooking spray so that the muffins will peel off the paper without sticking.
- To make the crumb topping melt butter in a small microwave bowl and once it cools off a bit, whisk in flour, sugar, and cinnamon, with a fork until crumbly and set aside.
- To make the muffins, in a large bowl stir together flour, baking powder, ground flaxseed, and salt, make a well in the center and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together granulated sugar, yogurt, oil, vinegar, and vanilla extract.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix everything together by hand.
- In a small bowl sprinkle 1 cup blueberries with a tablespoon of flour and toss them until all blueberries are coated with a thin layer of flour and then fold them really gently in the batter. This prevents the fruit from sinking at the bottom of the muffins.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin tins, filling about 2/3 of each cup. Cover the batter with the remaining blueberries and then cover the blueberries generously with streusel topping. (Check My Notes)
- Place them in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes at 400F and then reduce the heat to 375F and bake about for another 13-15 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Mine was done around 13 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and place it on a wire rack for about 5 minutes and then remove the muffins from the pan and cool completely before storing.
- These blueberry muffins with crumble topping were not too sweet and had an airy texture just like the vegan blueberry muffins and felt like muffins with eggs that you would normally get from a store. The sweetness was just right for us. If you have a sweet tooth you would have to increase the quantity of sugar a bit.
- This is the first time I’m making streusel topping and I didn’t know how much I could put on each muffin and topped about 1.5 tablespoons of mix and still had some leftover of the topping.
- I couldn’t have possibly used all of the toppings because it looked way too much already. So I did end up having close to 1/3rds of a cup of leftover streusel topping. Maybe the next time I make this recipe I would decrease the quantity of sugar and all-purpose flour a little bit.