Recently I have started cooking sweet potatoes in the microwave oven using the baked potato option and it gives me perfectly cooked sweet potato in the right consistency each and every time.
Earlier I used to cook sweet potatoes in my pressure cooker and many a time it got very mushy because apparently I had been cooking it for too much time.
The original recipe had used one egg and some butter but I substituted it with yogurt and oil. I also used whole wheat pastry flour instead of all-purpose flour.
How To Make Sweet Potato Cornbread?
Here are the step-by-step file on how to make delicious simple sweet potato cornbread from scratch.
Sweet Potato Cornbread Recipe
- 1 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sweet potato mashed
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt, whole
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C for about 15 minutes. Grease a 9×13 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray or line it with parchment paper/aluminum foil.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the “dry ingredients”.
- To this add all the ingredients listed under “wet ingredients” and beat/whisk until smooth.
- Pour the batter into a 9×13 baking dish or cast-iron skillet. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the center has set. Mine was done around 27 minutes.
- The taste and texture were pretty much like the usual cornbread. I didn’t taste the sweet potato.
- Pumpkin puree, cooked, and mashed squash is also a good substitute for the mashed sweet potato in this recipe.