At our home we get the All Bran Buds and Flakes quite regularly. Each and every time there is this powdery cereal at the end that nobody wants to eat. So I started putting those last crumbs from every pack in a box. Just after 3 packs of cereal I had about 2 cups of cereal. I usually add it with my smoothies like this Fiber One Banana Smoothie. This time around I wanted to try a different recipe and was looking for some ideas and found this. I already have a super duper vegan blueberry muffin recipe and a whole wheat blueberry muffin recipe in this blog. I was deliberating whether to try another blueberry muffin recipe. Because I have so much success baking with bluberries I decided to give it a shot and the result was wholesome and hearty blueberry bran muffins that everybody gave two thumbs up.
Vegan Blueberry Bran Muffins Recipe
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Makes|
|20 Mins||23 Mins||12 Muffins|
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 and 1/2 cups bran flakes cereal
- 1 and 1/4 cups almond milk, divided
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice or unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 3/4 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup blueberries
- all-purpose flour = whole wheat pastry flour
- bran flakes = corn flakes or any other similar cereal
- coconut palm sugar = brown sugar
- almond milk = any milk of your choice
- coconut oil = any oil you would normally use
- apple cider vinegar = white vinegar
- blueberries = any other berries or dried fruit
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C for 15 minutes. In a small bowl stir together 1/2 cup of milk and vinegar; set aside to curdle. Line a 12 muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the dry ingredients listed in Part 1.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cereal, 3/4 cup of milk and orange juice. Add the curdled milk, brown sugar and melted coconut oil too.
- Incorporate the dry flour mix into the wet ingredients, stirring until just combined. Add in the blueberries too. As always remember to toss the fruit with some flour before adding it to the batter. If the batter is too thick add a tablespoon or two of water/milk.
- Spoon in the batter in the prepared muffin tin and bake for about 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffin comes out clean.
- Mine was done in 23 minutes. Cool the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes before removing the muffins out of the tin. Serve it warm or once cooled.
- If you prefer serving these muffins warm, lightly grease the paper liners with cooking spray to remove the muffins off the wrapper easily.
- Do not thaw if using frozen berries.
- I have tried this recipe using orange juice and unsweetened applesauce and it turns out great either way. The nutritional inforamtion below is for muffins using orange juice.
| Calories: 179.6|
Total Fat: 5.1 g
Saturated fat: 3.9 g
Unsaturated fat: 0.4 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 39.1 g
| Sugars: 22.8 g|
Dietary Fiber: 3.5 g
Protein: 2.8 g
Sodium: 244.5 mg
Potassium: 206.5 mg