But for some reason it's been a while that I made pancakes or waffles for breakfast and the kids have been behind my back asking for it every Sunday and today I finally got to try a pumpkin pancake recipe for a change and also because I had this big can of pumpkin puree.
I can say that I have tried a plethora of pumpkin recipes using canned pumpkin like these pumpkin scones, vegan pumpkin cake roll, pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, pumpkin chocolate chip muffins just to mention a few and a pumpkin pancake recipe was pending.
So decided to give it a try and it was totally worth it because we ended up gobbling up the best pumpkin pancakes for breakfast today.
I took my fail proof eggless pancake recipe and incorporated some minor tweaks to make these easy pumpkin pancakes. I didn't set out to make it as vegan pancakes. I was simply going to make a pumpkin pancake recipe without eggs but then remembered that I had a few cartons of organic almond milk and thought that I might as well make it vegan.
These homemade pumpkin pancakes made from scratch is very easy to make and is a very healthy recipe too. I used whole wheat pastry flour instead of all-purpose flour, so it did require more liquid than I thought.
I believe that the quantity of liquid required depends upon the brand of flour you choose to use also. So start with the minimal amount I have mentioned in the recipe and gradually increase the quantity depending upon the consistency of the pancake batter.
Vegan Pumpkin Pancakes Recipe
- 1 and 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 and 1/2 to 2 cups almond milk
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips or cranberries/any other fruit
- flour - whole wheat pastry flour
- cinnamon - pumpkin pie spice
- almond milk - any non-dairy milk or dairy milk for non-vegans
- canned pumpkin - sweet potato puree, applesauce, mashed bananas
- coconut oil - any other oil
- In a large bowl combine together the dry ingredients.
- In another small bowl stir together the wet ingredients except for water.
- Incorporate the wet mix into the dry mix. Add some more water/milk to get the desired consistency. I used 2 tablespoons of water. Stir in the chopped cranberries if using. Leave it aside for at least 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat a griddle/pan.
- When the pan is hot enough, scoop out 1/4th cup of batter and pour it on the pan. Wait until the batter is cooked and bubbles appear on the surface and then flip it over. Cook it for another 30 seconds the other side. Repeat it for rest of the batter.
- If you do not have whole wheat pastry flour you can use a combination of whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour.
| Calories: 138|
Total Fat: 8.0g
Saturated fat: 6.5g
Unsaturated fat: 1.5g
Total Carbohydrate: 14.9g
| Sugars: 1.9g|
Dietary Fiber: 2.7g