I have a couple of shortbread cookie recipes, like this cranberry shortbread cookies recipe and chocolate shortbread cookies in the blog already but I can never feel “that’s enough” when it comes to shortbread because I love the texture and the mild sweetness that goes along with it.
Also, the fact that it’s one of the easiest recipes to bake especially in huge batches and when you are pressed for time is an added bonus.
Shortbread cookie recipes are one of the recipes that are perfect to start for beginners. All you need is some butter, flour, and powdered sugar and you are good to go.
With the pandemic and all this year has been a crazy one and it feels like Thanksgiving and Christmas is already around the corner.
This whipped shortbread cookie recipe is a nice addition to have in your collection especially during the holidays when you want to bake something quick and yet festive.
I made some mild changes to the original recipes above and made these amazingly light, delicate, and colorful whipped shortbread cookies and doubled the recipe as well.
How To Make Whipped Shortbread Cookies?
Here are the step-by-step pictorial illustrations on how to make easy shortbread cookies.
Whipped Shortbread Cookies Recipe
|1 Hr (including the chilling time)
|14 to 16 Mins
- 2 cups unsalted butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300F/150C. Line baking sheet/s with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl add the butter and beat it until light and creamy.
- To the creamed butter add the powdered sugar and beat well. Then add the vanilla extract and cream it again.
- Now add the sifted all-purpose flour and cornstarch into the creamed butter and sugar mixture and mix well. If you feel that the cookie dough has a sticky texture, cover the bowl or transfer the dough to an air-tight container and chill it in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop out the dough and roll it in your palms (dusted with some cornstarch, if necessary so that it won’t stick in your hands) and place it on the prepared baking sheet at least 2 inches apart.
- Dip the tines of a fork in cornstarch and press the rolled cookie dough to flatten slightly.
- Add sprinkles on top of the cookies or pressed half a candied cherry in the middle of each cookie and put it in the oven and bake for 14-16 minutes or until set.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool completely before storing the cookies in an airtight container or packing it for family and friends.
- These whipped shortbread cookies were absolutely light and tender. The sweetness was perfect. The cherry on top was an amazing colorful touch and gave a festive mood.
- If the cookie dough is sticky and you still proceed to bake it you would end up having very flat cookies. So it’s recommended that you chill the dough for at least 30 minutes. Sometimes I even leave the dough in the fridge overnight and bake it the next day.