Egg Substitutes In Baking

There are many egg substitutes available for baking or any recipes that calls for eggs. Most of the egg substitutes can be purchased at health food stores and most grocery stores. Here in this page, you can find excellent recipes that are tried and tested using various egg substitutes. This page will be regularly updated with various egg substitutes and recipes using them.

To get favorable results while replacing eggs in a baking recipe we have to clearly understand it’s role in the recipe. Eggs either act as binders, leavening agents or to moisten the batter.

If eggs are binders in a recipe, it can be replaced with Arrowroot, Soy Lecithin, Flax-seed Mix, Pureed Fruits or Vegetables, Silken Tofu, Unflavored Vegetarian Gelatin Powder (agar agar). The ratio is, for every egg replaced, 1/4 cup of the substitute is used.

If eggs are leavening agents, Buttermilk, Yogurt, Baking Soda, Commercial Egg Replacement Powder such as Ener-G can be used.

If eggs are added for moisture, Fruit Juice, Milk, Water or Pureed Fruit can be used.

Commercial Egg Replacer

Egg Substitute:
Commercial Egg Replacer Powder (like EnerG): Egg free baking recipes using commercially available egg replacer powders including Ener-G, Bob’s Red Mill, Organ and other brands. This works best in cookies. Learn more about Ener-G egg replacer here.

How to replace?
Whip together in a food processor or blender 1 and half teaspoons powder and 2 tablespoons water. Sometimes 2-3 times as much powder in the same amount of water gives better results.

How’s the result?
Flavorless, won’t affect the taste of the baked goods.

Best Suitable For:

All baked goods, especially:
Cookies

Buy it now

Egg Replacer Recipes

Silken Tofu As Egg Substitute

Egg Substitute:
Silken Tofu: It is a boon for those who want to go egg free. From scrambled eggs to frittatas and cakes to frostings, tofu has its place in many dishes.

How to replace?
Substitute 1/4 cup of whipped silken tofu for each egg.

How’s the result?
Baked goods won’t brown as deeply, but they will be very moist and heavy.

Best Suitable For:

Rich, dense & moist Cakes Breads Cookies
Brownies

Buy it now

Silken Tofu Recipes

Flax Seed Meal As Egg Substitute

Egg Substitute:
Flax Seed Meal:Make flax seed meal at home freshly by grinding flax seeds or get it ready made from store.

How to replace?
Whisk/blend together 1 teaspoon of flax seed powder with 1/4 cup of water for each egg to be replaced. (Also see My Notes)

How’s the result?
The baked goods are heavier & dense.

Best Suitable For:

Flax seed has a nutty flavor, so it works best that are grainier and nuttier, such as:
Waffles Pancakes Breads
Bran Muffins Oatmeal Cookies

Buy it now

Flax Seed Meal Recipes

Pureed Fruit As Egg Substitute

Egg Substitute:
Pureed Fruit: Mashed bananas, unsweetened applesauce, pureed prunes, plumped raisins and softened dates are some of the ways how pureed fruits can be used as an egg substitute.

How to replace?
1/4 cup for each egg. Increase leavening by 25-50%. Bake items slightly longer, if necessary.

Best Suitable For:

Cakes Quick Breads Brownies

Buy it now

Pureed Fruit Recipes

Vinegar & Baking Soda As Egg Substitute

Egg Substitute:
Vinegar & Baking Soda: Vinegar works very well as an egg substitute in cake, cupcake and muffin recipes, making it light and fluffy. White and apple cider vinegar is used quite often.

How to replace?
1 teaspoon of baking soda along with 1 tablespoon of vinegar. Apple cider vinegar and white distilled vinegar can be used.

Best Suitable For:

Cakes Cupcakes Quick Breads

Buy it now

Vinegar Recipes

Buttermilk/Yogurt As Egg Substitute

Egg Substitute:
Buttermilk, Yogurt or Baking Soda: This is used as an egg substitute in cakes, muffins and cupcakes. Vegan buttermilk is prepared by mixing non-dairy milk and vinegar together.

How to replace?
If there are no other ingredients to make the baked item rise, then one of these can be used in place of the egg. Replace the liquid in the recipe with same amount of buttermilk or thinned yogurt. Replace baking powder with 1/4 as much baking soda.

Best Suitable For:

Cookies Bars Flat breads

Yogurt Buttermilk Recipes

Based on the information provided in The Joy of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau and Cooking Free: 200 Flavorful Recipes for People with Food Allergies and Multiple Food Sensations by Carol Fenster.

My Notes

(Click on the image to see a bigger view)

1 Flax seed powder – Another ratio which is used widely while using flax-seed powder instead of egg is, whisking 1 tablespoon of the powder with 3 tablespoons of water. But I have not tried this ratio so far.

2 Substitute for egg wash – Simply use oil, dairy/nondairy milk, dairy/nondairy butter. ¼ cup of light corn syrup thinned with very hot water can also be used for glazing.

Share your experiences with different egg substitutes that you’ve used during baking.

Like these recipes?

Share with your friends!

258 Responses to “Egg Substitutes In Baking”

1. Betsy says:

In the South Beach diet book, they feature a recipe for breakfast egg cups. For this, I used to use egg whites only, seasonings, add mushrooms or chilies (whatever). You mix up a bowl of this and you fill silicone n/s muffin pans and bake them. They rise,brown and cook through in about 40 min. Tasty and low carb. Now that I’m leaning vegan, I’m wondering how I could make an eggless version of these for a low carb breakfast? Thank you!!

• Madhuram says:

Hi Betsy, you can find the vegan version of recipes like frittata, quiche etc in vegan cookbooks. They use a combination of soft and firm tofu. I haven’t tried any of it though. Look up for books like Vegan Brunch, Veganomican, etc in your local library.

2. Suzie Streefkerk says:

Hi,

I’m using the Miracolo Pane Classic Peasant Bread Mix (gluten free) from http://www.maninis.com. What would you suggest as an egg replacement?

Thanks for your help.

• Madhuram says:

Hi Suzie, I’m not an expert when it comes to gluten-free and egg free baking. I think it’s quite tricky. I read that xanathan gum has to be used if you want to bake egg free and gluten-free recipes.

3. Joyce says:

I have been allergic to eggs for thirty years. I find in baking from mixes, if the mix requires one egg, I can just leave it out. Especially true in quick breads and muffins. Since I am allergic to the whole egg, commercial replacement products do not work for me because they contain the white. I like using applesauce or buttermilk but have to be careful of the favors. Thanks for the blog on the issue. A lot of attention now to gluten, but little on other allergens.

4. [...] same level. No substitute can provide the same richness and mouth feel as a real egg. That said, those allergic to eggs can take solace in the many ingredient combinations available that can be used as a pretty-darn-close-stand-in for the [...]

5. Rayna says:

Hi there I am making a rainbow cake for my friend and was wondering if the vinegar and baking soda egg substitute would work well and make my cake light and fluffy. The recipe need 3 eggs.

• Madhuram says:

Hi Rayna, I would’nt recommend using vinegar/baking soda combo to replace more than 1 egg. Try a combination yogurt and tofu or just go with the plain eggless vanilla cake itself.

6. Tabitha says:

I was wondering what you would recommend using to substitute two eggs in a browning mix. I tried the mashed bananas and they were so tough and hard I couldn’t get them out of the pan.

Thanks,

7. Nicole says:

I just recently discovered my daughter has an egg allergy. I came across your recipes/blog while trying to find an egg free birthday cake. I cannot thank you enough! Your recipes sound absolutely delicious. I was totally despairing for her. I never knew there were so many substitutes for eggs! You have totally saved me. You gave me such a good education. Keep the yummy recipes coming!!

8. Kristina says:

My daughter cannot have wheat, soy, dairy, eggs, nuts, fish, beef, chicken, corn or potato. We are having a terrible time finding ways to make her muffins or pancakes. Any suggestions for flours to use or egg substitutes to try? I saw some recipes but most contain at least 1 ingredient she can’t have.

• Madhuram says:

That’s very tricky Kristina. Have you heard about Cherrybrook Kitchen’s ready to bake mixes? Those mixes are gluten-free and many other allergens free too. You should try it out.

• Vanessa says:

I make pancakes using equal parts self-raising flour and lemonade. Don’t know if it will work with gluten free flour, but definitely worth a try!

• Vanessa says:

P.S. My son was allergic to egg, soy, wheat and fish at 8 months. He was re-tested at 18 months and is now only allergic to egg, but still has a soy intolerance. The specialist believes he is likely to grow out of both, but they will probably get worse before they get better. Fingers crossed for his testing in September!