We usually buy All Bran buds and flakes at our house. It’s what my husband has for breakfast most of the days. Me not so much especially that I’m on a hypoallergenic diet for the past couple of days. It so happens that however you try to store the flakes cereal carefully, you end up having a lot of crumbs which nobody wants in their bowl of cereal. So I started putting the “end-of-the-pack” crumbs in a container and by the end of the month I had so much of it and was looking for ways to use it up. I have already baked some double chocolate muffins and these vegan blueberry bran muffins. This time I didn’t have time to bake for the kids’ get-together, so I wanted to make something pretty quickly and also wanted to incorporate the cereal crumbs into the recipe.
That’s when I remembered seeing some no-bake cookie recipes in the 1500 Best Bars, Cookies, Muffins, Cakes and more by Esther Brody. I tried the recipe as it is for measurement sake but substituted dried fruits and nuts to use what I had. The no-bake cookies turned out great and was a hit with the kids as well as their parents.
No-Bake Fruit and Nut Cookies Recipe
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Makes|
|20 Mins||05 Mins||5 Dozen|
- 4 cups all-bran cereal (flakes)
- 1 cup pitted and chopped dates
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup dried apricots, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup toasted and chopped pecans
- 1 cup toasted and chopped pistachios
- all-bran cereal – any cereal of your choice (try to avoid sugary ones though)
- dried fruits – your choice
- nuts – use what you have at home, even pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds
- Process the cereal and chopped dates in a food processor, until the cereal is crumbled.
- Add raisins, dried cranberries, apricots and the nuts and process until everything is finely chopped.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and shape them into balls, preferably scooping out mixture using a tablespoon so that all the cookie balls are shaped evenly.
- The original recipe mentioned to roll the cookies in confectioner’s sugar but I omitted it to cut back the sugar. You can roll it in unsweetened coconut flakes instead.
- When chopping dried fruits, grease the knife with cooking spray to make the job easier.
- You can also use some dark chocolate chips or carob chips to give it a chocolaty flavor.
Subscribe To Eggless Cooking
Don't miss our new eggless recipe updates in your email inbox! Sign up now.
Thank you. We just sent you a confirmation email - please confirm it.
Oops! Something went wrong. Please try again later.
We respect your privacy and take protecting it seriously