As long as there is Parents magazine, I will not have any problem finding easy baking recipes. This is one such simple and tasty recipe. I tried it for the first time yesterday with one zuchini. It was crispy on the outside and tender inside. Zucchini being a soft vegetable, when it cooks, the inside is not as firm as the potato fries. It tastes similar to the South Indian appetizer Bhaji, which has a crunchy exterior and soft/mushy inside.
Baked Zucchini Fries Recipe
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Makes|
|15 Mins||25 Mins||2 Servings|
- 1/2 - 1 cup Bread crumbs or cornflakes crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 Zucchini, cut into 3 x 1/2-inch sticks
- 1/2 cup Yogurt (I used low-fat)
- Black Pepper or Red Chili Powder To taste
- Heat oven to 425°F. Spray a baking sheet with oil. Mix bread crumbs, salt and black pepper/chili powder, if using.
- Coat zucchini sticks with yogurt. Press into crumb mixture a few at a time. Arrange on baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes, until golden brown and tender. I felt that the zucchini fries were not crunchy enough, so I kept baking until 24 minutes, checking every 2-3 minutes.
- I used bread crumbs instead of cornflakes.
- I also added some pepper powder and chilly powder for the adults version.
- Beat the yogurt with a fork nicely and pour it in a plate so that dipping the zucchini sticks will be easy.
- Dip 2 to 3 sticks at a time and put them in the bread crumbs mixture and shake the plate, so that the crumbs get evenly coated throughout the zucchini.
- Place them in a greased baking sheet. I baked it for around 23-25 minutes to get the desired crunch, even though the recipe mentions only 15 minutes.
- One zucchini is enough for 2 adults.
- Update: One of my friend mentioned that the zucchinis burnt in the oven around 20 minutes. As I have mentioned in the notes section the baking time in the original recipe is only 15 minutes. But mine was not cruncy enough, so I kept increasing the time 2-3 minutes and was checking constantly and around 24 minutes mine was nice and crunchy. I guess I coated the zucchinis with too much yogurt and/or bread crumbs. So I would advice to bake for 15 minutes first and then bake for some more time if necessary.
Subscribe To Eggless Cooking
Don't miss our new eggless recipe updates in your email inbox! Sign up now.